Rotaract is a worldwide network of young adults aged between 18-30 offering a range of activities from assisting a variety of community service projects, to social activities and professional development. This club, will be the only club at UWA that offers these three activities.
Why not join us in achieving Rotaract's motto:
'Fellowship through Service' !
Rotaract is part of Rotary International. There are currently over 165 000 Rotaractors in more than 7000 Rotaract clubs in 151 countries. A Rotaractor is the formal term we use to denote a member of a Rotaract club. So becoming a Rotaractor will not only mean you can form close ties with young adults in Perth but also around the world!
Being a Rotaractor will mean you will have access to an incredible network of business and community leaders within Rotary which will assist you to develop as a person and provide insight into businesses and careers you may be interested in.
As a Rotaractor, you will work to develop and assist with a variety of community projects, which will assist you in your life skills and in becoming a leader in the community.
We are in District 9450 with the Rotaract Club of Subiaco and our sponsoring clubs are the Rotary Clubs of West Perth and Nedlands.
Our constitution [174KB - PDF file]
This year (Joshua: 2004), the Rotaract Club of UWA will endeavour to:
- have various social activities from river side barbecues to formal dinners
- have opportunities to listen and meet with members of several professions to gain insight into work life and
- participate in community service projects such as providing sporting equipment to the underprivileged.
The University of Western Australia (UWA) was established in 1911 and has now become one of Australia's most prestigious educational institutions. It is a member of Australia's 'Group of Eight' leading research-intensive universities. The university has over 15 000 students in nine faculties covering 65 hectares.
The UWA main campus is located in Perth, the capital city of Western Australia. It is situated along the Swan River and overlooked by Kings Park. Perth is a multicultural city with a population of over 1.3 million and was ranked the third best city to live in a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit. Flanked by the Indian Ocean, Perth has beautiful beaches and a warm Mediterranean climate.
For more information about UWA, please see:
The University of Western Australia
UWA International Centre
For more information about Perth, Western Australia, please see:
Western Australian Tourism Commission - Perth
Lonely Planet - Destination Perth
What's On in Perth and Fremantle
Nedlands Rotarian Roger Hughes is a Honorary Life Member!!
Below are the officer duties outlined in the Rotaract Constitutional By-Laws:
- President: The President shall preside at all regular and special meetings of the club and the board of directors. He/she shall, with the approval of the board, appoint all standing and special committees and, in the event of a vacancy in the board of directors, shall, with the approval of the board, fill such vacancy by appointment until the next regular election of the club. He shall be an ex officio member of all committees. He/she shall maintain communication with the sponsor club and the District Rotaract representative to ensure they are continually informed of all actions taken by the club.
- Vice President: The Vice-President shall succeed to the office of President in the event of removal of the latter for whatever cause, and in the absence of the president, shall preside at all meetings of the club and of the board.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall maintain all club records, keep minutes of all the meetings of the club and of the board of directors, and provide copies of such to the chairman of the sponsor Rotary club's Rotaract committee.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall have custody of all club funds, maintaining all necessary records and depositing all such funds in a bank approved by the board of directors. He/she shall report on the club's financial status at each meeting of the club and shall hold all records available for inspection by any club member. All disbursements shall be by cheque and with the signature of two authorised officers
- Club service: attendance, membership, programs, fellowship, public relations related to the club.
- International Service: enhancing knowledge and understanding of worldwide needs, problems and opportunities and developing activities to give service for promoting international understanding and goodwill toward all people.
- Community Service: enhancing knowledge and understanding of community needs, problems and opportunities and developing appropriate activities for serving the community (including the university community).
- Professional Development: developing a program designed to provide information about a wide cross-section of businesses and professions and to stimulate awareness and acceptance of high ethical standards in business and professional life.
- Finance: devise ways and means of financing any and all club activities requiring funds, in cooperation with the appropriate committee.
Would like to join us?
You can email us at email@example.com, or come to our meetings which happen every second week.
"Volunteering will improve things for each and every one of us. It feels good to help those that are less fortunate and give them the opportunity to improve their situation."
-- Suzanne Wetzel, Rotaract Club of New York, New York, USA
"I have gained friendships all over the world, professional contacts, and the possibility to serve my community and enrich my social and leadership skills."
-- Oliver Lange, Rotaract Club of Offenburg, Germany
"It helps in my overall development, and at the same time I get the pleasure of serving community, making it a better and more enjoyable place to live in for everyone."
-- Vaneeta Kaur Grover, Rotaract Club of Hamilton-McMaster, Ontario, Canada
Rotaract Program - information from the Rotary website
Rotaract News [PDF link]
Yahoo! Groups: rotaractnet - email group for Rotaractors
Yahoo! Groups: rotaractwa - email group for Rotaractors in WA.
Rotaract WA - Santa Project
Rotaract in Australia
Muscular Dystrophy Association of WA
Motor Neurone Disease Association
Perth Regional Web Portal
Need more info?
Then please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our postal address is:
Rotaract Club of UWA
UWA Student Guild
CRAWLEY WA 6009
Or fill in this form.
We will attend to your queries ASAP.
All fields are required.
Again, thanks to Robin Chen for maintaining the web site 2002-2004.
Rotaract Club of UWA